The Imam Muhammad bin Saud Islamic University (PO Box 5701, Riyadh 11432), founded in 1953 (1372/73 AH) and accorded university status in 1974 (1394 AH), had more than 1,300 teachers and more than 23,000 students in 2000/20001. The total number of female students registered in 2000/2001 (1421/22 AH) was 643.
The Imam Muhammad bin Saud University is an international educational and cultural institution. It was formally inaugurated by Royal Decree in 1974 (1394 AH). Currently the University is composed of several faculties. The High Judiciary Institute was originally established in 1965 (1384/85 AH) for the purpose of graduating qualified Shari'ah judges. The Faculty of Shari'ah (theology) was established earlier in 1953 (1373 AH) for the purpose of meeting the demand for qualified Ulema and preachers throughout the country. The Faculty of Arabic Language and Social Science was originally established as the Faculty of Social Science in 1970 (1390 AH) and was expanded in 1974 (1394 AH) by adding an Arabic language major and a program in library science.