The eastern region SCECO was established by royal decree in 1976 (1396 AH), with a capital of SR 5 billion. The company comprised the 26 electric companies operating in the region, as well as the electric generation utilities of Aramco.
The concession area for the company is approximately 285,000 square kilometers.
By 1995/96 (1416 AH), the SCECO in the eastern region had a market capitalization of US$ 975 million, was providing electricity supply to 218 cities, villages and settlements and had a customer base of 462,712.
In 2006, the customer base had increased to 844,821, with total energy consumption of 54,689,072 MW hours.