With the massive increase in traffic that has ensued from the Kingdom's industrial and agricultural development, it has been necessary to upgrade means of transport. Today, many of the inter-city roads to expressways accommodate anything up to eight lanes for traffic. Some of the more important inter-city highways are;
- Dammam - Abu Hadriya - Ras Tanura Highway (257 kms)
- Khaybar - Al Ola Highway (175 kms)
- Makkah - Madinah Al Munawarah Highway (421 kms)
- Riyadh - Dammam Highway (383 kms)
- Riyadh - Sedir - al Qasim Highway (317 kms)
- Riyadh - Taif Highway (750 kms)
- Taif - Abha-Gizan Highway (750 kms)
To alleviate congestion in cities caused by the growth in traffic and a number of cities now enjoy the benefits of modern ring-roads which serve to speed vehicles on their way and reduce congestion and pollution in city centers.
A further development is the construction of networks of over- and under-passes within the cities which again serve to facilitate driving in city centers.
The length of roads constructed up to 2006 was 167,600 kilometers.