- B.A. in Economics and Political Science, King Saud University
- M.A. in Economics, Denver University, Colorado, U.S.
- Ph.D. in Economics, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S.
- Lecturer in Principles of Economics 1971-1982
- Associate Professor of Economics and then Head of the Department of Administrative Sciences at King Abdul Aziz Military College 1982-1986
- guest lecturer at the College of Command and Staff 1982-1983
- part-time adviser to the Saudi Development Fund 1982-1986
- alternate Saudi Executive Director at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) 1986-1989
- Saudi Executive Director on the Executive Board of the World Bank Group 1989-1995
- Vice Governor of the Saudi Monetary Agency, June to October, 1995
- Minister of State and Member of the Council of Ministers, October 1995 to January, 1996
- Minister of Finance and National Economy 1996
- Minister of Finance since May, 2003